Welcome to Minnetonka Boys Tennis!
2022 season key dates
- Mark your calendars for our virtual PAC (Parents, Athletes, Coaches) Meeting via Google Meet on Friday, March 4 at 5 p.m. This is a great opportunity for you and the coaches to get better acquainted. A link will be sent to you prior to the meeting. Any questions may be directed to Coach Siegel.
- The MSHSL Boys Tennis start date is Monday, March 28. Tryouts are held only the first two weeks of our season. Prior to tryouts, please remember to:
- Fill out our Player Questionnaire at https://forms.gle/LFna4GXTBccYnd3K9. This is the foundation from which we get to know your player and communicate with your family.
- Spring Break 2022 (March 28-April 1) will coincide with the first week of Boys Tennis. Round robin levels (Black, Blue, White, Red) will be determined the first week, and round robin match play will occur the second week. Round robin times and locations for the first two weeks of tryouts will be emailed. Also, please plan for the possibility to play in the round robin competition on Saturday, April 9.
Our program consists of a Varsity, Junior Varsity and a B Team. The Varsity and JV teams play the same schedule with one team at home and the other away at the opponent's site. The Varsity is a competitive team that plays dual matches with other schools in a format of 4 singles and 3 doubles matches totaling a 7 point match. Standing in the conference and non-conference wins affects placement in the sectional tournament. Both team and individual postseason sectional tournaments are used to qualify for the state tournament in which both TEAM and individual tournaments (2 singles & 2 doubles entrants) are held. Tennis is a lifetime sport and it is our goal as coaches to teach the fundamentals and accentuate the passion each player brings to the program.
- Varsity – Coaches will select the top players in the school system to field a 14-16 player varsity team roster using direct competition results and coaches' observations of players’ skill levels, potential, and needs of the team. Note: Seniors must make the Varsity team.
- Junior Varsity – The Junior Varsity team will consist of approximately 14-16 additional players. Some players may at times practice with the Varsity and play matches with the JV team. The core JV team will practice as a developmental group and play in as many matches as possible. The JV players will mostly play in matches with the same dual match schedule as the Varsity, with an emphasis more on experience and participation. Note: Juniors must make the JV or Varsity team.
- B Team – The B Team will consist of approximately 16 players and will compete on a separate schedule with other similar teams. Their matches may consist of pro-sets, rather than 2 or 3 sets. The coaches will emphasize development and improvement, along with an introduction to competition. It is the wish of the coaches that each player will have an enjoyable learning experience. If we have over 16 player, then any middle school player trying out must make the top 5 spots since each middle school has their own team.
registration and Fees
- Participation Fee: $75 (paid only once per year)
- Tennis Activity Fee: $85 (paid each season)
- Clothing Fee: Approximately $70-$120 depending on the team. Historically, our SNAP RAISE has generated enough funds to cover all of our uniforms (which players then keep at the end of the season!). We encourage each player to fully participate in the fundraiser.
NOTE: Scholarships are available for this and all MHS activities. Request by contacting MHS Activities Director, Ted Schultz at email@example.com.
All teams typically take buses to matches, but this year COVID may require some personal transportation.
Captains are responsible for the first lines of communication between coaches and players. They will work with the coaches with uniform sizes/design and help organize fundraisers and the team banquet at the end of the season. They will serve as role models for the team and lead our new Varsity/JV B-Team Mentorship Program.
BANQUET, awards & lettering
We will have an end of the season team banquet which captains' parents help organize. (Thank you in advance!) More to come as the season progresses.
General awards include All-Conference, Captains, Most Improved, Most Valuable Player(s), Best Record in Singles or Doubles, and various special awards that our creative captains design. All players making the Varsity competition team will receive a Varsity letter, provided they meet the following expectations:
- Adhere to all state MSHSL rules and regulations.
- Attend all practices and matches, subject only to illness, with notification to coach.
- Demonstrate proper sportsmanship and demeanor on and off the court.
- Give their best effort at practices and matches, and display a positive attitude.
Player Rules and Expectations
Arrive at practice 10-15 minutes early to do individual stretching.
- Wear appropriate attire during practice.
- Players who will not be at practice due to illness must text the coach the day of absence at 651-402-8211 (please include your name in the text).
- Players must wear team uniforms at matches and tournaments.
- Players must, at all times, treat their coaches and teammates with respect.
- Players must give a solid effort at all times.
- Expect that any coach in the Minnetonka Tennis Program can offer you feedback as praise or constructive criticism. We follow a team coaching philosophy.
- Special note to captains: Athletic policy states that any captain who violates the MSHSL chemical usage rule will lose their captain status for the season.
- Academics will always come first, please consult your coach if there is an issue with practices/matches and team responsibilities.
- Let’s work together for an exciting and fulfilling tennis season!
Nathan Keese photo courtesy John Sherman, Sun Sailor.